Joint and hip problems are very common ailments in dogs. Just as humans are prone to joint pain and body aches, a significant percentage of dogs suffer from joint stiffness, soreness and decreased mobility. Due to some risk factors like aging, genetics, hormonal conditions and to name a few, you can see signs and symptoms that your Fido is no longer the active and placid pup you’ve known a few years back. Over the years, you’ll notice them having changes in behavior, difficulty in laying down or getting up, or being a little depressed or lethargic. They can’t speak up, but you can feel their pain. You understand that these circumstances affect the quality of life your dogs have every day. So, how can we ease the pain and joint problems your pup is suffering?
Good thing that science has provided some ways to help our dogs live a less painful life despite the effects of aging. Aside from the natural ways of preventing the onset of the disease, you can get your dogs the right amount of hip and joint supplementation. Like any other supplements and medications for dog ear infection, skin allergies and the likes, there are a number of dog hip and joint supplements in the market today, and it won’t be easy just to pick whatever is inside the store. That is why we’ve created a list of options that will surely help your Fido feel more comfortable and enjoy a healthier life.
Best Dog Joint Supplements: Here are Our Top Choices
- Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM Chewable Tablets for Large Dogs
- Vetri-Science Laboratories Glyco-Flex III Bite-sized Dog Chews
- Doggie Dailies Advanced Hip & Joint Supplement Chews
- Nutramax Cosequin DS Plus with MSM Chewable Tablets
- Vet Organics’ EcoMobility Joint and Hip Complex for Dogs
Why do dogs need joint supplements?
Dogs, in all sizes, shapes or breeds, are affected by the inevitable effects of aging. As your Fido age, his or her body can produce a less amount of naturally-occurring substance in joints called glucosamine. This compound is beneficial in repairing body tissues and cartilages. Most high-quality hip and joint supplements contain active ingredients like glucosamine in maintaining your dog’s daily routine by reducing soreness or inflammation, relieving joint pain and discomfort, enhancing their mobility, restoring the ranges of joint motion, and improving your dog’s behavior or mood. Though joint supplements won’t reverse the degenerative effects of diseases like osteoarthritis or some other joint problems, it offers a pain-free lifestyle for your pup.
What to look for in dog joint supplements?
With recent studies and experimentation related to the efficacy of joint supplements, there are active ingredients that you may want to look for in enhancing joint health and improving your Fido’s bone cartilages. While you may consider these active ingredients to provide your dog with a healthier and happy life despite aging, it is important to carefully watch out for some adverse reactions and work closely with your vet. Here are some of the important ingredients you have to look out for in dog joint supplements:
- Glucosamine: It aids in the production of new cartilages. It helps to produce some types of tendons, cartilage, and ligaments.
- Chondroitin Sulfate: It also helps in building some types of bone cartilages and has a protective function to reduce the degree of bone damage.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): It relieves pain and has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Omega Fatty Acids: It reduces inflammation and pain. It also supports proper coating and other biological processes in the body.
- Dimethylglycine (DMG): These are naturally occurring metabolites and proven to be safe for dogs.
What are the types of dog joint supplements?
Your dog may accept some supplements or medications different from the other dogs. Some pups might prefer to include those with their food while others may want to take it in a chewable form. That is why joint supplements for dogs come in different forms and dosages. These are the following options:
What else can you do to help your dogs?
We say, “Prevention is better than cure.” You won’t be able to avoid some dog diseases leading to joint pain or problems, but you may lessen the chance of getting it worse. Make sure to keep your dog’s daily routine such as going for a regular visitation to their vets, keeping them in normal or healthy body weight, giving them sufficient exercise, and feeding the right amount of supplements or nutrition they need every day. These few guidelines are important and helpful to support your Fido’s overall health and mobility.
Let’s have a better look at the top five choices we have recommended above.
Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM Chewable Tablets for Large Dogs
Description: This brand is highly recommended for joint care by the veterinarians. It is also ideal for large breed dogs because the dosage is formulated for Fido’s weighing above 60 pounds. The formulation and production of this joint supplement have been perfected with over ten years of clinical studies and research. Most customers reported that their dogs become more energetic and manifest great improvements in mobility and activity after using this product. However, the effects may vary for 4 to 6 weeks or maybe longer, after the recommended initial administration.
- Contains four active ingredients for joint health (including glucosamine, avocado or soybean unsaponifiables, chondroitin sulfate, and MSM)
- Easy to administer because it is in chewable tablet form
- Naturally-flavored supplements
- Relatively higher in price than other dog joint supplements
- Not appropriate for all dogs; made specifically for large breeds of dogs
Vetri-Science Laboratories Glyco-Flex III Bite-sized Dog Chews
Description: The brand has been trusted by veterinarians for over 40 years. Based on certain studies by the manufacturer, some dogs manifest up to 41% increase in leg strength after the initial 4 weeks of administration. Unlike any other supplements in the market today, this product contains 10 ingredients to maintain joint health. These include glucosamine, DMG, MSM, Vitamin E, green-lipped mussel, Vitamin C, manganese, selenium, grape seed extract, and L-glutathione.
- Can be used by all types of dog, regardless of weight and sizes
- Contains 10 ingredients for optimal joint health for dogs
- Reasonable price
- Some pet owners complain about quality-control issues (rare cases)
- A few pet owners reported that the supplement works well in mild joint problems but not with severe conditions.
Doggie Dailies Advanced Hip & Joint Supplement Chews
Description: Doggie Allies is created for dogs of all sizes and weight. This brand contains 6 active ingredients, including glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, coenzyme Q10, and Yucca shidigera, to support joint health. It also contains cod liver oil and salmon oil. Some owners reported that their dogs love the taste of this supplement. A good number of pet owners also mentioned that they’d noticed good results after a few weeks of administration.
- FDA-registered, made in the USA
- Made for dogs of all sizes
- Formulated with 6 active ingredients
- Money-back guarantee
- Comes with 2 bonus ebooks upon purchase
- Some pet owners reported dog diarrhea (rare cases)
Nutramax Cosequin DS Plus with MSM Chewable Tablets
Description: Another high-quality product made by Nutramax, it contains joint-supporting substances such as glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, MSM and manganese. It is also tasty which allows pet owners to administer the tablets without a hassle. Many pet owners reported a significant improvement in overall health and condition of their dogs.
- Easy to administer; bite-sized chewable tablets
- Appropriate for all dog breeds, life stages, and sizes.
- High-rated products with active ingredients for joint health
- A few pet owners reported an allergic reaction
- Lower amount or percentage of glucosamine and chondroitin as opposed to other dog joint supplements
Vet Organics’ EcoMobility Joint and Hip Complex for Dogs
Description: This product contains safe, proven-effective, and all-natural ingredients for joint relief. With a very affordable price as compared to other dog joint supplements in the market, it is also ideal for dogs who are heavy, older, and genetically prone to joint issues or problems. It comes with a powerful formulation of glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and MSM.
- Contains safe and all-natural formulation with active ingredients for joint health
- Reasonable and affordable price
- Palatable and tasty
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- Not appropriate for dogs of all ages; not recommended for dogs younger than 12 weeks.
Final Thoughts and Our Top Choice
While there are other great products in the market today that support and maintain joint health, it is important to determine the right supplements for your dogs. Take some factors in consideration like the cost, efficacy, delivery form or types of dosage, and the condition and severity of your Fido.
As for our top choice, we pick the Doggie Dailies Advanced Hip & Joint Supplement Chews as this is already FDA-registered, proven reasonable when it comes to price, appropriate to all dog sizes or shapes, and contains some important ingredients a joint supplement should have. However, you can try all the recommended products and see how effective it can become. Just make sure to work closely with your veterinarians prior to giving your dogs any supplements.